When your company operates a fleet or employs a mobile workforce, the possibility of a traffic accident and the costs that result are something that may cause you significant stress. Accidents happen, much more frequently than we’d like and when they do, they leave behind damaged vehicles, injured employees and increased costs. Accident can cost your company millions of dollars each year. Between the cost of vehicle damage, medical care, lost productivity, lost revenue, property damage, liability and increased insurance costs, a single accident can cost your company as much as $76,313!
Let’s take a look at some of the common causes of accidents:
- Hard Braking.
- Hard Accelerating.
- Hard Cornering.
The cost of accident prevention is much lower than the cost of an accident. It just makes sense to do what you can to put proactive strategies in place to help prevent accidents before they occur. Below are a few ideas:
- Open a dialog with drivers by giving them real-time feedback to their driving habits. If drivers can see when they are speeding, hard braking, accelerating and corning it gives them the opportunity to change their behavior.
- Use reports to see trends in the behaviors of your drivers and use the data to set goals with your drivers to improve safety.
- Provide driving tips to your drivers and help them to understand the impact their behaviors have on their personal safety and the safety of others.
- Make it a part of your company’s culture to recognize drivers with the safest records as well as those who have made improvements on common accident causing behaviors.
Tracking Systems wants to help you keep your drivers, your vehicle and those that share the road with them safe! We also want to help our fleet managers and the companies they work for save money by helping to prevent accidents. For more information about all of Tracking Systems features and services, give us a call at 845-738-2200 or visit our website at www.track-sys.com.
(according to the US DOT Traffic Safety Facts Report)
- Every 5 seconds a crash occurs.
- Every 10 seconds an injury occurs.
- Crashes cost companies an estimated 16 cents per mile.
- Crashes with injuries cost companies as much as $76,313.
- Worker injury claims cost an average of $21,000 per incident.
- 1 out of every 5 drivers will be involved in a traffic accident each year.
- 21% of accident related costs can be attributed to speeding.
- 41% of accidents are due to driver distractions and aggressive driving.